This calculator performs very simple and basic child and spousal support calculations under Canadian federal law based on limited information provided by the user. The calculator applies the federal Child Support Guidelines (“CSG”), which are legally binding in most provinces in Canada, and the federal Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines (“SSAG”), which are not legally binding but are widely used on an advisory basis.
This calculator is intended to provide a starting point or “ballpark” for child and spousal support only.
Although the calculator generates child and spousal support amounts, support is not automatically payable in all circumstances. Family law is extremely complex and there are many other factors and legal issues not considered by this calculator that could dramatically affect child and spousal support. Some factors/issues not considered by this calculator include, but are not limited to:
- sources of income other than Annual Gross Employment Income (eg. dividends, capital gains, non-taxable income, social assistance, pensions, etc.);
- numerous adjustments to income under the CSG and the SSAG(eg. non taxable income, income taxed at a lower rate, intentionally underemployed party, social assistance income, etc.);
- tax deductions and credits beyond those most generally applicable;
- entitlement to spousal support;
- applicability of federal legislation or guidelines to common law relationships;
- contributions towards children’s special expenses, including child care, medical expenses, educational expenses, post-secondary expenses and extra-curricular activities;
- shared custody considerations;
- undue hardship claims under the CSG;
- effect of special expenses on spousal support under SSAG;
- exceptions to SSAG, including among other things, prior support obligations, illness and disability, special needs, non taxable income, etc.;
- appropriate support figure and duration within the SSAG ranges based on the particular circumstances;
- payor income ceilings and floors over/below which the legislation or guidelines do not apply;
- adult children and step children, remarriages and second families etc.;
- variations and reviews of support;
- property settlements;
- child custody and access considerations;
- restructuring spousal support under SSAG;
- lump sum child and spousal support;
- life insurance security to secure support obligations;
- separation agreements and marriage contracts;
- parties who live in Quebec or outside Canada; and
- effect of child and spousal support on net disposable income or cash flows.
Calculations from this site are not legal advice, and are not a substitute for working with a family lawyer. You are always well-advised to consult with a qualified lawyer familiar with family law to fully understand all of the issues in the particular facts of your situation.
- The MySupportCalculator.ca calculator (the “Calculator”) and directory of family law professionals (the “Directory”), are owned and operated by MySupportCalculator Ltd. (“MSC”). The Calculator and the Directory (collectively the “Service”) are provided to you under the terms and conditions of this service agreement (the “Agreement”).
- You acknowledge and agree to the “Limitations” set out above.
- You assume the entire risk associated with the use of the Service. The Service is provided on an "as is" and “as available” basis without any representations or warranties of any kind, either express, implied or collateral, including but not limited to any representations or warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. For greater certainty, without limiting the foregoing, neither this Agreement, nor any documentation furnished under it, is intended to express or imply any representation or warranty that the Service will be uninterrupted, timely, error-free or free from any software virus or other harmful component. Nor does MSC endorse, confirm or represent the expertise, ability or competence of any of the persons listed in the Directory. Nor is the Service in any way intended or to be construed as legal advice. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of implied warranties, so some of these exclusions may not apply to you.
- MSC, and its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, shareholders, employees, consultants and/or agents, shall not be liable to you, under any circumstances or legal or equitable theories whatsoever, for any loss or damages whatsoever, including without limiting the generality of the foregoing, any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages, loss of business, profits or goodwill, loss of use or data, interruption of business, any claim by you or against you, or any indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages of any character, even if MSC is aware of the risk of such damages, arising from or in connection with:
- any of the matters referred to in Sections 2 or 3 above;
- your use of, access to or reliance on the Service;
- your inability to properly use the Service, whether as a result of your own fault or the fault of MSC;
- your inability to gain access to the Service;
- any flaw or error contained in, or associated with, the Calculator;
- any advice, action, negligence, fraud, or inaction of any person listed in the Directory;
- any delay or failure in performance under the Agreement by MSC resulting directly or indirectly from acts of God, terrorism, or other causes beyond its reasonable control.
- MSC’s liability to you shall not, for any reason, exceed the amount paid by you to MSC under this Agreement.
- This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between you and MSC with respect to the Service and supersedes all previous or contemporaneous proposals, both oral and written, representations, writings and all other communications between you and MSC with respect to such subject matter.
- MSC reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to change, modify, add or remove all or part of this Agreement at any time with or without notice to you. Please refer back to this Agreement often.
- For purposes of this Agreement, the term “persons” shall be broadly interpreted and includes an individual, a corporation, a partnership, a trust, an unincorporated organization and the executors, administrators or other legal representatives of an individual in such capacity.
- This Agreement, and the relationship between you and MSC, are governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario.